Sunday, October 4, 2009

Crossing Over From Parenthood to Friendship

Friday after work Rudy and I headed to Wilmington, NC, it's a 3 1/2 hour drive from Greensboro. This is a trip we've talked about taking for 6 weeks. My Step-Son Brandon attends college at UNCW and has lived in Wilmington for 3 years. He's 21. He's independent. He's a hard worker. He's smart. He's got his life together and goals set for his future. We wanted to spend some quality time with him since we don't see him as often as our other 3 kids.


Brandon and Bonnie

Brandon has an amazing girlfriend Ashton that has been a part of his life since his Sophomore year in High School. She pushes him to be great and he responds. She has given him life experiences that otherwise he would not have had. We were fortunate to spend a lot of time with both of them this weekend and I watched the two of them interact as if they'd been married for 20 years.

Brandon, Bonnie, and Ashton

My favorite part of the weekend was watching my Husband with his son. We spend an entire life parenting, disciplining, and making sure our kids get a good life. I've heard stories from both my Step-Sons of how "hard" he was on the boys but whatever he did worked. They are well mannered, goal oriented kids with big smiles and bigger hearts. His work is done, he can rest, and now comes his reward for Fatherhood.....friendship of his son.

Brandon and Ashton


I'm glad we had this time with the kids....just us and them.....because it took me back to when I was graduating to friendship with my parents. As we drove away from the kids and the beach today, I told Rudy that anytime I leave my parents I feel sad and I wondered if Brandon felt the same way. Good job honey for crossing over from parenthood to friendship. I love you both.



No comments:

Post a Comment