Monday, October 5, 2009

~Next Season~

Softball was a huge part of my life growing up in TN. I played on a all girl's league at Tucker's Crossroads from the time I was 7 until I was 17. I played 2nd base for 3 years then moved to short stop for the remaining years. Below is a picture of the Edward's Brothers team in 1989. I was 16 years old. Back then I would get so nervous before the games that I thought I would throw up and I was very competitive (my Husband says I still am).


Top Row 2nd from the left - that's me

I played several years of co-ed softball (Paige seems to think she was 9 the last year I played). I played 2nd base and during the last game that year I was hit a ground ball (I had no fear of getting hurt) I stopped it but immediately felt pain. When I took my glove off, my pinky finger was bleeding, my nail was gone, and the pain was unbearable. I sat out the rest of that inning then returned to play the rest of the game. About a week later (I worked at a hospital at the time) Dr. Caudill saw my finger and demanded I come see him for an x-ray. It was broken. I haven't stepped on a field since......until now.


My Husband Rudy (Pitcher) and I (First Base)

When I heard our Church was playing in a co-ed softball league I was EXCITED to say the least. When Chris (our coach) told me I was playing 1st base....not so excited anymore. I was intimidated by the men and their throwing arms. I had never played 1st and wasn't sure about the rules. We had a couple of practices and my confidence built up some. From the very 1st game we played I stepped on that field with pride (and no fear). I have to say that I surprised myself with the fact that I can still hit the ball, catch the ball, and run the bases. By the way....I LOVE LOVE LOVE 1st base!!

That's Me - # 3

Yes, I've had a great time playing but I have had a better time getting to know my Church family in a recreational way. I want to thank our coach Chris, assistant coach Jeff, my teammates, Rudy, Jim, Lynn, Leatrice, both Jessicas, Bella, Craig, Al, Heidi, Leslie, Patrick, Matt, Leigh Ann, Jessie, and Alie. I want to say a special thank you to Mama Sue and Mr. Mike, I love seeing your faces cheering us on each week. The memories have been awesome and it has been a bonding experience for Rudy and me. After each game we gather with the other team at the pitcher's mound. We form a circle, hold hands, and pray to our Lord, Jesus Christ. It's my favorite part of the game, 2 teams coming together to praise God. Thank you Lord for this experience.


Our final record was 1-12 but you would never know it by the smiles on our faces as we come off the field each week. I'm already looking forward to next year but first....co-ed volleyball starts soon. To all The Kirkers, thanks for playing, I had fun, see you @ Church on Sunday, and we'll get em next season!


1 comment: