Monday, September 28, 2009

The Night The Lights Went Out

I got into my car Monday afternoon and within seconds a storm hit (HARD). Along my drive I saw limbs from trees flying around and an entire tree was blocking one of the roads so only 1 car could pass through. When I got home the lights were out so we decided to go to McDonald's for some playtime on the playground (Olivia, not Rudy and I - although if I thought I could still fit, I would probably try) After an hour or so we were ready for a change of scenery. We decided to go home, change clothes, and go to the gym. Thank goodness we called first....their lights were out also.


Olivia @ McDonald's

So the only choice we had was to sit at home, by candle light, and wait for the lights to come back on. My question is, what did people do before electricity?

I know....they worked hard in their fields...spent time talking as a family...fellowshipped with their friends...read books before dark. We don't have fields to plow (but after all this recent rain our yard is fast becoming one), we love to spend time as a family, fellowship with friends and reading is one of my favorite hobbies. These are not always our choices because electricity provides so many other options. We love to watch television, Austin loves his XBOX, and Paige is a computer addict. So....we got creative, lit a bunch of candles and decided to play farkle. Farkle is a dice game I have been playing with my family for several years now.

This was our set up

I have to admit...we had a lot of fun and the time passed quickly. Olivia won the first game (with a little help from Rudy and I) and just as we finished the second game the lights came back on. Of course then we rushed to catch up on bath time, washing clothes, resetting the clocks, and getting back to what we consider the normal. I think I may take time to catch up on one of my books this weekend. Even though it was a little inconvenient I'm thankful for the night the lights went out.

1 comment:

  1. I blogged on this once myself ... a time when families spent time singing and telling stories. Do you remember the nights out around the fire in Aunt Enola's or Granny's yard? Granny teaching us how to properly burn the marshmallows! Enola telling that silly joke that made everyone jump because she would tell it so softly then act like she had turned into a dog and attack. Those are the best memories. I love reading your blog and I love you and the girls and miss you all very much.

    ReplyDelete